Monday, March 9, 2015

Sunfire & Big Hero 6 #1: Review


I'm not afraid to admit that I enjoyed watching Big Hero 6. Once I saw the movie I decided I wanted to see the original Big Hero 6 material. Enter: Sunfire & Big Hero 6 #1. This is the first of a three issue series published in 1998. 

Synopsis

(This issue has major differences from the film so I won't be comparing the two.)

Hiro is a 13 year old genius who idolizes the former X-Men member Sunfire. Sunfire is thought to be in Canada trying to get treatment from the results of his mutant powers. But where is he really at? Because of Hiro's intellect he is recruited by The Silver Samurai to join Japan's "premiere super hero team" Big Hero 6.

Review 

I really like when The Silver Samurai confronts Hiro to recruit him. I like The Silver Samurai's sales pitch to Hiro and how he references other Marvel properties such as Fantastic Four and The Avengers. I like how the beginning of this issue explains the origin of the team members, but I wish more of the characters origin's were illustrated. The issue progresses logically and at the end you feel like you experienced more than a 25 page issue. I think you should read this issue if you want some diversity from the more popular super hero teams and aren't afraid to get attached to a team that hasn't received much attention from Marvel in almost 10 years.

Availability  

There is virtually no digital availability of this issue. This issue isn't available in the Marvel Comics Digital Shop, Marvel Unlimited, Comixology, or other digital comic stores. So how was I able to read this issue? I saw this rare series available on Google Play and purchased it. WARNING! The listing on Google Play is for an unlicensed scan of this book so I will not link to it and I am in the process of notifying Marvel Comics. You can potentially track this issue down at a local comic shop or other online retailer. Amazon does sell the issue here.



No comments:

Post a Comment